Wednesday, January 19, 2005
The Inviting Church
Someday, I want to walk into a church that is inviting.
I know it sounds peculiar, but I think we've transitioned from a Modern church concept, where the neighborhood attended, to a Seeker concept, where the service was a show and we hid Christ, to an Emergent concept, where Christianity is just something you do, and everyone can do it differently, and approaching someone might be construed as 'invading their space.'
Maybe I'm just burned out.
I attended a church in a former town for two months. After two months, the pastor took my wife and I aside and said "let's grab some lunch and see where you fit into this church body." Guess what, within weeks I was leading worship and my wife was participating in leadership of the church. In a nutshell, we were invited to share our gifts with the church body, and the opportunities were many and often.
Last year I attended a church for months. I went to events. My wife and I hosted a Bible study in our home. After nearly a year of attending, we were still greeted on Sunday mornings with "it's so nice to have you visit with us." We left, and after nearly a year, they called me up to host another Bible study. Did they still think I was attending?
Now I've attended a variety of churches, some local, some not. In most cases, the invitation is to "come to church and let's see what happens." There's no design, leadership, or growth. Maybe I'm just beating my head against the wall.
Come to think of it, I've attended two churches recently where they were more than happy to have me plug in wherever. I guess I just have too much baggage for some things to happen.
So maybe it just comes down to this: In the end, it's God's plan that works to the benefit of His people. The more I plan and push, the worse it becomes.
Time to reevaluate where I spend my time and energy. The problem is, God prefers broken vessels, and that fall and impact sure does sting.
Pray for me, that God will use me to further His Kingdom, and that I can move on to the place He desires for me.
I know it sounds peculiar, but I think we've transitioned from a Modern church concept, where the neighborhood attended, to a Seeker concept, where the service was a show and we hid Christ, to an Emergent concept, where Christianity is just something you do, and everyone can do it differently, and approaching someone might be construed as 'invading their space.'
Maybe I'm just burned out.
I attended a church in a former town for two months. After two months, the pastor took my wife and I aside and said "let's grab some lunch and see where you fit into this church body." Guess what, within weeks I was leading worship and my wife was participating in leadership of the church. In a nutshell, we were invited to share our gifts with the church body, and the opportunities were many and often.
Last year I attended a church for months. I went to events. My wife and I hosted a Bible study in our home. After nearly a year of attending, we were still greeted on Sunday mornings with "it's so nice to have you visit with us." We left, and after nearly a year, they called me up to host another Bible study. Did they still think I was attending?
Now I've attended a variety of churches, some local, some not. In most cases, the invitation is to "come to church and let's see what happens." There's no design, leadership, or growth. Maybe I'm just beating my head against the wall.
Come to think of it, I've attended two churches recently where they were more than happy to have me plug in wherever. I guess I just have too much baggage for some things to happen.
So maybe it just comes down to this: In the end, it's God's plan that works to the benefit of His people. The more I plan and push, the worse it becomes.
Time to reevaluate where I spend my time and energy. The problem is, God prefers broken vessels, and that fall and impact sure does sting.
Pray for me, that God will use me to further His Kingdom, and that I can move on to the place He desires for me.