Saturday, February 05, 2005
Where rubber meets the road
I've visited 20 different churches in the past year. I admit I'm restless. I want to participate, I want to give, I want a relationship with a church. It hasn't been easy, but I've learned a lot of things.
Everyone should try this: go to as many church services IN ONE DAY as possible. Seeing how people worship, hearing different messages, participating at different levels, all bring a new understanding of how God's people interact with each other, and more importantly, how they interact with God.
That level of contrast has taught me one thing - some churches are engaged in doing God's work, and some aren't. Maybe that's nothing new to most people, but after completing the above exercise, you'll see what I saw. Some churches appear to be so in touch with God's will, yet when contrasted with others, I get the feeling they are just going through the motions, never going through the emotions.
This weekend I visited a church that has everything you'd think is part of a church. They do outreach, they pray for each other, they share verses, meals, and worship together. They are an amazing contrast to many of the churches I've visited. Oh that all churches were as committed to God's work as this one.
Everyone should try this: go to as many church services IN ONE DAY as possible. Seeing how people worship, hearing different messages, participating at different levels, all bring a new understanding of how God's people interact with each other, and more importantly, how they interact with God.
That level of contrast has taught me one thing - some churches are engaged in doing God's work, and some aren't. Maybe that's nothing new to most people, but after completing the above exercise, you'll see what I saw. Some churches appear to be so in touch with God's will, yet when contrasted with others, I get the feeling they are just going through the motions, never going through the emotions.
This weekend I visited a church that has everything you'd think is part of a church. They do outreach, they pray for each other, they share verses, meals, and worship together. They are an amazing contrast to many of the churches I've visited. Oh that all churches were as committed to God's work as this one.